What barriers do South Sudanese refugees face in education? Gabriel Yak, a PhD student at Canberra University, discusses this important topic in this paper. The paper was presented at the Refugee Communities Advocacy Network conference in Melbourne on 28 May 2016.
The paper looks at:
- how education is important in integrating refugees
- the inadequacies of the English language program
- issues of where people are placed in school
- the need for schools to give more information and support for parents
- the impact of high unemployment to learning, and
- why women experience difficulties in schooling.