Refugee Council of Australia
Colourful question marks

Information about temporary protection visas (TPVs) and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas (SHEVs)

Support and services

Can I get money from the government while I am on a SHEV?

Yes, but if you get some kinds of benefits for more than 18 months, you can’t get a visa other than a TPV or SHEV when your SHEV ends. You can get a payment called ‘Special Benefit’, but this will affect your visa.

The benefits you can apply for that do not affect your visa are:

  • Family Tax Benefit A and B
  • Single Income Family Supplement
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Parental Leave Pay (work test requirements)
  • Dad and Partner Pay (work test requirements)
  • Health Care Card (Family Tax Benefit)
  • Child Care Benefit/Child Care Rebate
  • School Kids Bonus
  • Child Dental Benefits Schedule
  • Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance
  • Stillborn Baby Payment
  • Low Income Health Care Card
This factsheet is published by Refugee and Immigration Legal Service (RAILS), a legal organisation that helps refugees in Queensland. It was last checked in May 2020.

Find out how to get money if you have a TPV or SHEV

This factsheet is also available in Arabic, Dari, Farsi and Tamil.

What services can I access?

You can:

You need to use your Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) Immicard when registering for the above services. Here you will find more information about Immicards.

Medicare is Australia’s national healthcare system. It provides free public hospital care and assistance with doctors fees. Medicare does not cover ambulance costs, most dental services, physiotherapy, spectacles, podiatry, chiropractic services or private hospital accommodation.

This factsheet is produced by Refugee Advice & Casework Service, a legal organisation in NSW which helps refugees. This factsheet was updated in November 2022.

How to apply for Medicare

If you cannot get a job, you can get Special Benefit payments or ‘Work for the Dole’. If you get Special Benefit payments, any work you do at the same time does not count towards the SHEV pathway requirements.

For the first two years of your visa, you can also get free translations of important documents.

Some people may also be able to get Specialised and Intensive Services (formerly called Complex Case Support), but this will be limited to people who qualify. People with permanent disabilities may also be able to get help in the workplace.

Applying for another temporary visa

A temporary protection visa (TPV) ends after three years, and a Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (SHEV) ends after five years. People who have a TPV or SHEV are now reaching the end of their first visa.

This information is provided by Refugee and Immigration Legal Service (RAILS), a legal organisation in Queensland that helps refugees. It was last checked on November 2020.

This factsheet explains how and when to apply for another visa. It is also available in Arabic, Dari,Farsi and Tamil and Rohingya audio version.

Re-applying for a temporary protection visa or SHEV

The government has published information about what to do to get a new visa. You should apply before your visa expires. If you do, your TPV or SHEV will continue until the government has considered your new application. If you do not apply before your visa expires, the government says you may not be able to apply again.

You can apply for a new visa online using your ImmiAccount.

Once you have made a valid application for a new visa, your existing TPV or SHEV visa will continue while the government makes a decision on the new visa. This is likely to take some time. During this time, you will still be able to get any benefits and keep Medicare while a decision is being made. You do not need to apply for a bridging visa, and you can still go overseas if you get written permission from the Department. You will need to renew your Medicare card and you will need to keep the letter from the government saying you have applied to prove that you still have a valid visa.

For more information on what you need to do and what will happen after you apply, please click the button.

Read the Department’s information

Be a champion for refugee rights

Join our mailing list and be the first to receive active resources. We need you to show Australia cares about refugees.


  • Category

  • Topic