Refugee Council of Australia
Colourful question marks

Information about temporary protection visas (TPVs) and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas (SHEVs)

Work and study

Can I work on a SHEV?

Yes, you can work. You have the same rights as other Australians when working.

According to the government, to count towards the ‘pathway requirements’ (to be able to apply for a permanent visa), any work must be lawful, paid, and in a regional area within the SHEV scheme. The work can be full-time, part-time, temporary, casual or seasonal, or a combination. You can have breaks between work, and each calendar month that you work counts towards the pathway requirements. If you get Special Benefit payments at the same time, that work will not count.

When you are working in Australia, there are some things you must know. They can protect you in the workplace and stop you from getting into trouble.

Information on working in Australia

You can also be ‘working’ on the SHEV visa if you are self-employed (that is, you run your own business), if you run a business selling goods or services or are a tradesperson.

Can I study?

You can study. Children (under 18) can attend school. Adults can learn English using the Adult English Migrant Program.

If you are an adult, you can study at TAFE or university, but in most cases you will not get any government help (such as Austudy or Youth Allowance), and you will have to pay international student rates. These can be very expensive.

Information about study, including scholarships and free or cheap TAFE options

If you are attending university, this will affect your income support. If you are enrolled full time you will likely lose your income support.

What kind of study will meet the SHEV ‘pathway requirements’?

For study to count towards those requirements, you need to physically undertake study that is:

  • accredited by the Australian Qualifications Framework, including a maximum of one course leading to a Certificate I and any courses leading to a Certificate II or above, and
  • full-time, either:
    • at the campus of an education provider located in a regional area included in the SHEV arrangements, or
    • at a primary school, high school or college in regional Australia for a minimum of 161 weeks (consistent with three and a half standard academic years) of full-time registered study.

This means online study does not count towards the pathway requirements.

Studying English under the Adult English Migrant Program (AMEP) counts towards these SHEV pathway requirements if your study meets the requirements listed above (full time study, on campus and leading to a Certificate I outcome).

Read more about the Adult English Migrant Program

Be a champion for refugee rights

Join our mailing list and be the first to receive active resources. We need you to show Australia cares about refugees.


  • Category

  • Topic