Refugee Council of Australia
Colourful question marks

Information about temporary protection visas (TPVs) and Safe Haven Enterprise Visas (SHEVs)

What other visas can I apply for if I have a SHEV?

If I meet the SHEV pathway requirements, when could I apply for another visa?

You can apply for another visa if you have worked or studied for the time you need to on a SHEV (42 months). You do not have to wait until the end of the SHEV before applying.

What kinds of visas can I apply for if I meet the SHEV pathway requirements?

This information is provided by the Law Institute of Victoria, a legal organisation in Victoria. It was published in 2017.

It is important to understand that, as well as meeting the SHEV pathway requirements, you must also meet all the conditions of another visa. Please note that these conditions can change quickly, and that for many people it will not be easy to change to a permanent visa.

Read the factsheet

Can I get married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident?

You can get married in Australia. However, to stay in Australia permanently, you have to get a permanent Partner visa.

If you hold a SHEV, and you meet the regional work or study requirements (SHEV pathway requirements), then you can apply for a Partner visa. If you do not meet the requirements, or you do not hold a SHEV, and you arrived in Australia by boat, then it is likely that you would not be able to apply for a Partner visa.

Be a champion for refugee rights

Join our mailing list and be the first to receive active resources. We need you to show Australia cares about refugees.


  • Category

  • Topic