Refugee Council of Australia
Information spelt out with hand pointing finger

Information on resettling in Australia

Sponsorship by a family member


If you have a family member who is in Australia, you may be able to come to Australia.

This page gives you some information, but there are many things to know about this. You should try and get advice before applying.

Information on family reunion

Migration advice

Immediate family members of people on a refugee visa

You might be able to come to Australia if you are:

  • an ‘immediate family member’ of
  • someone who has come to Australia in the last five years
  • on a refugee visa (subclasses 200, 201, 203 and 204).
This does not apply to people who came by boat on or after 13 August 2012.

You must be one of:

  • a husband, wife or de facto partner
  • a child or stepchild under 18 years old, or a child who depends upon the person in Australia, or
  • if the person is Australia is under 18 years of age, a parent or step-parent.

Learn more about split family 

Proposals under the Special Humanitarian Program

If a member of your family in Australia does not have a refugee visa, you may still be able to come under the Special Humanitarian Program. There are a lot of people waiting to come to Australia this way.

This does not apply if your family member came by boat seeking asylum on or after 13 August 2012.

Some applications will be looked at before others. This depends on what kind of visa your family member has, and how close you are to that family member.

Read more information on the Special Humanitarian Program.

Be a champion for refugee rights

Join our mailing list and be the first to receive active resources. We need you to show Australia cares about refugees.


  • Category

  • Topic