In 2017, a wide range of actors from across the Australian refugee sector and movement worked together to articulate a platform for reform of Australian refugee policy in 2018 and beyond. The contributors included: people from refugee backgrounds, NGOs, community groups, academics and grassroots organisations. As such, the views expressed here are informed by a broad cross section of expertise from across Australia. A list of associated organisations and groups is listed below. Outlined below are the five key policy areas that we must change for Australia to return to a fair, egalitarian nation that will prosper into the future:
- The permanent end to offshore processing
- A fair process for claiming asylum
- Reform of the immigration detention system
- A larger and more responsive Refugee and Humanitarian Program
- Australia’s improved engagement in Asia
We briefly outline the problem, followed by our proposed policy solutions, with references to evidence and research outlined against the proposed solutions.
Read the Platform
You can download the Platform here or continue to read the full text n html.