Can I get money from the government while I am on a SHEV?

Yes, but if you get some kinds of benefits for more than 18 months, you can’t get a visa other than a TPV or SHEV when your SHEV ends.

The benefits you can apply for are:

  • Family Tax Benefit A & B
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Parental Leave Pay (Work test requirements)
  • Dad and Partner Pay (work test requirements)
  • Health Care Card (Family Tax Benefit)
  • Child Care Benefit/ Child Care Rebate
  • Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance
  • Stillborn Baby Payment
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Rent Assistance

What services can I access?

You can:

You need to use your Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) Immicard when registering for the above services. Here you will find more information about Immicards.

Medicare is Australia’s national healthcare system. It provides free public hospital care and assistance with doctors fees. Medicare does not cover ambulance costs, most dental services, physiotherapy, spectacles, podiatry, chiropractic services or private hospital accommodation. To access Medicare, you must register through the Department of Human Services Service Centre. Registration requires your Immicard, evidence of your visa and Medicare enrolment form.

If you cannot get a job, you can get Special Benefit payments or ‘Work for the Dole’. If you get Special Benefit payments, any work you do at the same time does not count towards the SHEV pathway requirements.

For the first two years of your visa, you can also get free translations of important documents.

Some people may also be able to get Specialised and Intensive Services (formerly called Complex Case Support), but this will be limited to people who qualify. People with permanent disabilities may also be able to get help in the workplace.