This information was obtained from the NSW Smart and Skilled website, published by the NSW government. 

The information on this page was correct when we published it on 30 March 2017. You should check the NSW website to make sure it is still correct.

Vocational education and training for people in NSW

Are you a person from a refugee background or seeking asylum in NSW? Are you looking to get training to help you with work?

If you are, then you may be able to get help from the government to pay for your training under the Smart and Skilled program.

Who can get help under Smart and Skilled?

You can get help if you are:

  • 15 years old or over
  • no longer at school
  • living or working in NSW
  • a humanitarian visa holder, Australian permanent resident, Australian or New Zealand citizen.

From 1 January 2017, you can get funding if you hold one of these visas:

  • Emergency rescue visa (Subclass 203)
  • Global special humanitarian programme visa (Subclass 202)
  • In-country special humanitarian programme visa (Subclass 201)
  • Protection visa (Subclass 866)
  • Refugee visa (Subclass 200)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa (Subclass 790)
  • Temporary Protection visa (Subclass 785)
  • Woman at Risk visa (Subclass 204)
  • Bridging Visa A (BVA)
  • Bridging Visa B (BVB)
  • Bridging Visa C (BVC)
  • Bridging Visa D (BVD)
  • Bridging Visa E (BVE)
  • Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (Subclass 786)
  • Temporary Humanitarian Stay visa (Subclass 449).

Check if this is still correct when apply by looking on this page.

From 2016, it does not matter if you have already got a qualification before, although it may affect the fee.

More information on whether you can use this program

What courses can you get help for?

Everyone who meets these conditions can get government funding for training up until Certificate III for courses on the NSW Skilled List. You can also get funding for apprentices and traineeships.

How much will you pay?

For people with humanitarian visas, from 1 January 2017 the NSW Government will pay your course fees for any Certificate I, Certificate II, Certificate III, or Certificate IV course on the NSW Skilled List. Training providers may still charge fees for ‘incidental expenses’ such as for essential tools or for field trips. Training providers must let you know of any additional fees for incidental expenses prior to enrolment.

For higher-level courses, you can get government funding for courses that the government has identified as  priority.