Refugee Council of Australia
Information spelt out with hand pointing finger

Information about education for refugees

Universities and higher education

Higher education in Australia covers degrees, from bachelor degrees (undergraduate) to doctoral degrees (leading to a PhD). Most higher education qualifications are offered by Australian universities. There are Australian universities in each state and territory. Some Australian universities also offer lower-level qualifications (such as diplomas or associate degrees), which can be used to help a person enter a university degree. Some universities also offer vocational education or training (VET) qualifications.

This resource is provided by Good Universities Guide.

This page explains the courses and qualifications that Australian universities offer.

There are a lot of different ways to enter university. While it is common for someone to enter university after high school, there are other ways of getting into universities, including doing courses that help you get ready for studying at university. You can find out more about the programs that can help you prepare for higher education on the Pathways to Education page below.

Pathways to education

There are many things you need to think about when deciding what course or university to study at. You can find a lot of useful information on the websites below.

This resource is provided by Good Universities Guide.

This page provides some useful things to think about when deciding on a university course.

This resource is provided by the Australian Government.

Choose a university or higher education institution that is best for you. Compare undergraduate student experience and graduate employment.

This resource is provided by the Australian Government.

The Australian Government’s myfuture website provides information and helps you explore your career choices

University for people seeking asylum or on a temporary visa

Refugees on permanent visas can go to universities generally in the same way as Australian citizens, including help with the cost of study. However, Australia’s education policy treats those seeking asylum or on temporary visas as ‘international’ students, so they cannot get the same kind of help and so will need to pay very expensive fees to get to university.

Barriers to education

However, some of Australia’s universities are offering scholarships to these people. Most of these open towards the end of the year.

University scholarships for refugees and people seeking asylum

Be a champion for refugee rights

Join our mailing list and be the first to receive active resources. We need you to show Australia cares about refugees.


  • Category

  • Topic