The Refugee Council of Australia (RCOA) is the national umbrella body for refugees and the organisations and individuals who support them. It has more than 180 organisational and 700 individual members. RCOA promotes the adoption of flexible, humane and practical policies towards refugees and asylum seekers both within Australia and internationally through conducting research, advocacy, policy analysis and community education.
Our website contains a wealth of information and resources to help you find out about the key issues affecting refugee and asylum seekers both in Australia and internationally, the work of RCOA and the practical ways you can support refugees and asylum seekers.
Below is a guide to navigating the website and finding information and resources you need.
Learn more about the aims, work and history of RCOA; the different branches of our work including the A Just Australia campaign and the Australian Refugee Foundation; our Board, staff and members; our sources of income; the principles which inform our work; and our Annual General Meeting. You can also download copies of our previous annual reports and audited financial statements.
Under the "Resources" menu, you can access a range of resources on refugee and asylum seeker issues, including:
- RCOA’s annual intake submission, which contains feedback and ideas gathered through nationwide consultations on the planning of Australia’s Refugee and Humanitarian Program;
- Research reports and papers produced by RCOA;
- Submissions by RCOA to government inquiries on refugee and asylum seeker issues;
- Statements and letters developed and supported by RCOA;
- A range of national and international statistics, including links to statistical publications and tools;
- Directories of agencies supporting and providing services to refugees and asylum seekers;
- Personal stories of former refugees now living in Australia;
- Lists of useful resources and publications on refugee and asylum seeker issues;
- A glossary of common terms and acronyms used in the refugee sector; and
- Links to other useful websites.
RCOA’s fact sheets provide information on a wide variety of issues relating to refugees and asylum seekers, ranging from international refugee law to Australia’s asylum policies to challenges faced by newly-arrived refugees when settling in Australia. You can also find responses to common myths and hoax e-mails about refugees and asylum seekers.
Our fact sheets provide a useful overview of key issues and are a good starting point for research. Many of the fact sheets also include links to further information and resources.
Providing answers to the most common questions and requests received by RCOA, our FAQs page is a good starting point if you are searching for information about our work or issues relating to refugees and asylum seekers.
News & Events
Download our media releases and read the latest news on issues relating to refugees and asylum seekers. Under this menu, you will also find our nationwide calendar of upcoming events, a monthly digest of refugee and asylum seeker issues in the media, copies of our monthly bulletins and information on how to join our mailing list.
Find out how to support the work of RCOA through making a donation, becoming an individual or organisational member and joining our mailing list. You will also find details about employment and volunteering vacancies at RCOA and other organisations and information about opportunities in a variety of areas, including research, academia, education, the arts, sport, competitions and award nominations.